Skip to main content
Tags: benghazi | issa | cia

Issa Tells CIA: Plan for Massive Benghazi Probe

Issa Tells CIA: Plan for Massive Benghazi Probe
Rep. Darrell Issa, R-Calif.

By    |   Thursday, 18 April 2013 09:36 AM EDT

Escalating his investigation of the deadly terrorist attack on the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi last year, Rep. Darrell Issa warned CIA and other government officials Wednesday to lawyer-up in preparation for a massive probe.
 
The California Republican who chairs the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee sent letters Wednesday suggesting that some witnesses lawyer up before being called to testify, The Hill reported. He also suggested that some witnesses should be prepared for retaliation from their employer, depending on their responses.
 
“Some witnesses may be required to retain personal counsel to represent them before the committee and in the event the agency subsequently retaliates against them for cooperating with the committee’s investigation,” the California Republican who chairs the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee said in separate letters to the CIA, State Department, and Pentagon.

Editor's Note: Join LIGNET’s Exclusive Community for only $1.00 – Click Here Now

Issa said some witnesses have already been cooperating with the investigation into the attack that killed Ambassador Christopher Stevens and three other Americans on Sept. 11, 2012, the Hill reported.
 
“During the course of the investigation, numerous individuals have approached the committee with information related to the attack,” he wrote in the letters.

Issa asked the agencies to provide details on how to grant outside attorneys the security clearances necessary for them to adequately represent employees who discuss classified matters with congressional investigators.

Former House Intelligence Committee Chairman Pete Hoekstra also told Newsmax Thursday that whistleblowers may have access to classified information and may need a lawyer to ensure that they comply with the rules, regulations, and legal requirements to protect themselves.

“There are multiple whistleblowers who want to get the story out,” Hoekstra said. “All of these people are very concerned that they do everything appropriately.”

“These whistleblowers still feel that there’s a gap between what’s in the public domain and what really happened,” Hoekstra continued. “They’ve all been frustrated.”

The move comes as more than 100 rank-and-file Republicans have increased their pressure on House Speaker John Boehner to create a 19-member select committee to look into the attack.





© 2025 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

Sign up for Newsmax’s Daily Newsletter

Receive breaking news and original analysis - sent right to your inbox.

(Optional for Local News)
Privacy: We never share your email address.

Newsfront
Escalating his investigation of the deadly terrorist attack on the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi last year, Rep. Darrell Issa warned CIA and other government officials Wednesday to lawyer-up in preparation for a massive probe.
benghazi,issa,cia
348
2013-36-18
Thursday, 18 April 2013 09:36 AM
Newsmax Media, Inc.
Join the Newsmax Community
Read and Post Comments
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
 

Interest-Based Advertising | Do not sell or share my personal information

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
© 2025 Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved
Download the Newsmax App
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
© 2025 Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved